Place of interest in Mauritius

Posted By Matt On Friday, May 15th, 2015 With 0 Comments

Other places of interest (all of which have been declared national monuments):

AGAapravasi Ghat (Port Louis): Inscribed on the World Heritage list in 2006, the Aapravasi Ghat stands as the witness of the peopling of Mauritius. It also embodies the success of the Great Experiment that led the British Government to use indenture in its colonies around the world. The site houses the landing place of around half a million indentured labourers during the 19th and early 20th century. Built in 1849 in Port Louis, the immigration depot was declared a national monument in 1987 by the Government of Mauritius.

 

post officeGeneral Post Office (Port Louis): It is the oldest post office in Mauritius which has retained its original use. It has been inaugurated in 1870. Its architecture has been inspired by public buildings of Great Britain. The General post Office has played a key role in the development and expansion of the postal service in the island since the end of the 19th century.

 

 

central marketCentral Market: The Central Market, found in Port Louis, is one of the main attractions of the island due to its rich cultural heritage. A visit to the market will give you an insight into the Mauritian culture. The dholl-puris, exotic fruits and vegetables, the stalls selling traditional herbal medicines, spices as well as the artisanal products are a must for all foreign visitors.

 

 

chateauChâteau de Mon Plaisir (Pamplemousses Botanical Garden): The French colonial style house has been built in 1823 by General Darling, Commander of the troops at the beginning of the British occupation. It has been claimed that the property was bought initially by Mahé de Labourdonnais and he had his house built there in the 18th century. It is found in the Pamplemousses Botanical Garden which is renowned for its numerous species of plants and giant water lilies.

 
monuWreck of St Géran Monument (Poude D’or): This monument commemorates the sinking of St Géran which formed part of the French East India Company. The shipwreck occurred in August 1744 near Ile d’Ambre, opposite the Poudre D’Or village. The famous novelist Bernardin de Saint Pierre has made mention of this wreck in his fictitious romantic novel ‘Paul et Virginie’. He has also depicted the Mauritian society as it was during the French colonisation of the island. Archaeological campaigns have helped to recover some of the historic treasures which can be admired at the Maison Historique de Grand Port.

 

Château Riche en Eau (Riche en Eau, Grand Port): The Chateau is one of the remaining colonial buildings depicting the rich architectural heritage of Mauritius. A visit of the place will bring visitors back into the past. The colonial house, the yard with its relics of pools and a stable will ignite the imagination of the fertile ones.

 

dutch_landingDutch Monument (Ferney): It is the monument commemorating the point of first landing of the Dutch in Mauritius. The Dutch were the first colonisers of the island.

 

 

 

Ile de la Passe, MauritiusIle de la Passe: It is a small coral islet which commands the deep water channel leading into Grand Port. It was of vital importance for the last Napoleonic naval victory at the Battle of Grand Port. Ile de la Passe possesses some of the impressive examples of French military architecture in the Indian Ocean. Military installations were also added by the British during the Second World War. It is a rich architectural as well as archaeological site for amateurs as well as professionals.

 

World War 2 Ruins (Royal Road, Pointe du Diable): These ruins are remnants of a structure built during the 2nd World War. The structures built during that period portray the dispositions the island had to take as it was one of the British colonies. Fortunately it was never attacked by the axis powers.

 

 

batteriesPointe du Diable French Batteries (Royal Road Pointe du Diable): Pointe du Diable French Batteries found almost 8 kilometres north of Vieux Grand Port was the site of a French battery to prevent attacks from enemies by sea. Remnants of this site include canons.

 

 

Martello_towerMartello Tower (La Preneuse): Martello Towers were small defensive forts built across the British Empire during the 19th century. In Mauritius, five Martello towers were built from 1832 till 1835. The one at La Preneuse forms part of the three towers which have escaped the dilapidation of time and modernisation.

 

 

lemorneLe Morne: Le Morne stands with much pride in the South-Western tip of the island as it is a symbol of resistance to slavery. The mountain was used by runaway slaves as shelter during the 18th and early 19th century. Le Morne has been declared as a World Heritage Site in 2008.